Tuesday, April 7, 2020

Stella and Self-Isolation

It has been a long time since my last post, although it may not be so long from here to the next one. One thing about staying in the house all day is that it inspires you to do things that you have been putting off (although so far I have successfully avoided cleaning. I'm not that desperate yet).

The novel coronavirus and Covid-19 caused by it are frankly terrifying to me. I am one of those unfortunate folks who are at an increased risk of things going badly and potentially fatally if I catch it. So, I am doing what I can to self-isolate and keep away from other humans. This does not mean keeping away from horses however, and my mom and I have still been going out to the stables in the morning and evening to visit and work with Stella. We have been alternating between working in the round pen and driving in the indoor arena. My little filly actually asks for one or the other sometimes. Some days she really wants to go to the round pen so that she can run around and get out energy, and other days she just wants to walk around for her hour, or maybe trot for a few intervals at first, then walk the rest.

Stella learned to drive quite a while ago now, and she seems to much prefer it to just walking in-hand with me. She also prefers if there are cones to weave through or work around rather than just going around in circles or wandering around the arena working on commands. I have not tried having her pull anything yet, but that is mostly because we don't have any sort or cart or wagon for her to pull. I fear she would probably take to that quite nicely. Did I end up with a mustang who is a natural cart horse?

No comments:

Post a Comment